Force par l'Unité
Ode to Joy
(and also largest city)
|Form of Government||Constitutional Monarchy|
|Heir to the Throne||Lukrezia|
|Upper House||Privy Council|
|Lower House||Imperial Parliament|
|Kingdom of Chastain||1000 AC|
|Empire of Castaire / Unification||1200 AC|
The Castairian Empire (official name: Empire of Castaire, pronounciation: [kastɛʁ]), located in the central part of the continent Esradon, is one of the biggest and most powerful nations in the world. The Empire is a constitutional monarchy consisting of 6 former independent duchies and the former kingdom Chastain, which were unified by Castorian I in 1200 AC.
- before 1450
- Before the Empire was founded, the lands of the later Castaire weren't unpeopled. Six duchies existed since a long time ago and were related in a mainly peaceful manner. A seventh country, the kingdom of Chastain, was founded by an ancestor of the latter emperor Castorian in 1000 AC. Following this, Chastain gained a lot of power through economy on the one hand, but on the other hand, the state had also a superior military. In the following 80 years until the establishment, no wars where fought between the concurrent nations, they became partners in economical terms, but also defended themselves together against barbarians coming from overseas, so it was merely a matter of time until the unification.
Foundation and Progress
- Castorian I (1180 - 1214)
- Castorians coronation as Roi de Chastain followed his fathers death in 1436. 14 years of peaceful and wealthy time followed the coronation until 1200. In this year, Castorian and his council came to a decision, supported by the surrounding nations, to form a grand empire composed of Chastain, Gardelegen and Montataire.
- With the foundation of the Empire and the following coronation of Castorian as the first Empereur de Castaire, the actual history of Castaire began. The first years after the establishment were interrupted by many wars against the barbarian neighbors, which were won by the Empire. Since 1206 AC, the lands experienced an extraordinary economic advancement and a long time of peace and welfare. Many new cities and villages were founded throughout the land and the trade between them and the old cities saved the prosperity of the people. They began to form organisations like the Miltmore Trading Guild to achieve even more profit.
- Césaire I (1214 - 1234)
- Césaire II (1234 - 1274)
- Stéphane I (1274 - 1317)
- Constant I (1317 - 1328)
- Constant II (1328 - 1346)
- Stéphane II (1346 - 1396)
- Constant III (1396 - 1415)
- Constant IV (1415 - 1424)
- Césaire III (1424 - 1477)
- At this time, the urgent need for a new capital has arisen. Each of the six former duchies and Chastain of course had their own capitals, but there was no representative city which could become the capital. Césaire assigned a team of architects to plan a new city at the fields near the mouth of the river Violaine. This city got the name of the first Empereurs wife, Impératrice Lucrécia, in a slightly adapted version, "Lucrécy".
- The architects started planning in 1453 and the construction of the first streets was envisaged for November 1455. This, however, wasn't achieved, as the cold winter made any building tasks nearly impossible, so construction finally started in spring 1456. In the following years, Lucrécy developed into a prosperous city and acquired more and more settlers to soon become the most populous city of the Empire.
- Stéphane III (1477 - 1482)
- Célestin I (1482 - 1510)
- Empereur Célestin I was the actual architect of Lucrécy, as the construction of the current cityscape started under his name. He loved architecture and consulted several great architects and had many helpful meetings in which the city was mainly planned, especially the representative buildings like the old theater, the Cathedral of the Ten Angels and also the townhall and the courtyard. In his reign no wars were fought, his rule was commonly known as the Peaceful Era, which ended right under the order of his son.
- Célestin II (1510 - 1520)
- Only 10 years reigning, Célestin II used his power mainly for warfare and conquered surrounding smaller nations (namely Lanthenas, Keravel, Exermont, Trimouille and Landivisiau) to feed the Empire. Therefor, he got many imperialistic accusations, which were later fundamentally declared in the Célestine Doctrine, a document which shall lead the policy of the Empire for the next 200 years. It consisted of several state theoretic arguments which were important for the persistence of the realm in the eyes of the leading politicians. It was declared, that only war can be used to contain hostile ambitions of surrounding nations, so it was used as justification for all latter wars fought by the Empire.
As Célestins son, the Prince Impériale, died 5 years before his father, he proclaimed his nephew to be the next Empereur when he is adult. In consequence, the next Empereur was Célestin III, son of Célestins brother Claude and his wife Claire.
- When Célestin II died in 1520, he proclaimed that his nephew, Claudes son, will become Empereur when he is 15 years old. At the age of 1 year, Célestin became Empereur. His father Claude took over the government business and reigned for his minor son until 1534, when he was coronated in the age of 15. The 14 years between his proclamation and the actual coronation and the acquisition of his governance were a disturbing time for the people of Castaire. Regent Imperial Claude was a completely unable ruler and maneuvered Castaire into several wars, also with its constituent state Gardelegen. In the course of war, after the imperial regiments passed the border without any declaration of war, Gardelegen separated from the Empire and struck back, defeating a whole army of imperial soldiers. The military staff in Lucrécy was shocked about this progression and soon looked for a possibility to make peace with Gardelegen. Gardelegen accepted the peace petition only under the condition that the Regent Imperial has to be unseated. The government followed this condition and imprisoned the father of the Emperor in 1530. Until 1534, a council of 10 important politicians controlled the fate of the Empire. This was the birth of the Privy Council, a board to support the Empereur in his governmental tasks.
- Célestin IV (1576 - 1614)
- Célestin V (1614 - 1658)
- Célestin VI (1658 - 1678)
- Nathanaël I (1678 - 1712)
- Nathanaël II (1712 - 1745)
- The coronation of Nathanaël II marked another point of change in the history of Castaire. He was a very militaristic Empereur, always demonstrating the overwhelming power of the Castairian Military. His reign was represented by many wars, especially the Grand War Against Cantoras which ended victorious for the Empire. This era ended with the death of Nathanaël on March 21st 1745.
The Golden Age
- Steve I (reigning since 1745)
- After his fathers death, Steve was coronated on his birthday, the 22nd March 1745. His reigning period is the most peaceful time the Empire ever had. The Empereurs reputation is enormous, the people are as prosperous as never before.
Located at the western continent, the most parts of Castaire are meadows, fields and spacious forests. The eastern borderlands are covered with an enourmous mountain range. Several rivers flow through the territories and are base of the most cities in Castaire, also Lucrécy.
- Castaire is situated between the western oceanic and the eastern continental climate in a zone of temperate climate, with warm summers and mild winters. The eastern parts have a more continental climate, so the winters there can be very cold and the summers very warm.
- The dominating ecoregion of Castaire are forests, which cover around a third of the total area (31.9%). The rest is either covered by arable land (50.8%) or consistent pastures (11.8%). Only 5.5% consists of cities, settlements or streets. The forests consists of mainly deciduous trees like oaks and beeches, while in the mountain regions there are more spruce and fir trees.
Main article: Government of Castaire
The political system of Castaire is a constitutional monarchy, consisting of the government lead by the Chancelier and the state itself lead by the Empereur. The government has separated its powers into three main competences: the executive power is owned by the Chancelier, who is responsible for enforcing the law by his police forces, the legislative part is of course the parliament, which issues the laws, and the jurisdiction is represented by the different courts.
The parliament consists of all the noble men of Castaire, and also the dukes of the six duchies have a seat in there.
The current Chancelier is Mitchell and the Empereur is his older brother Steve I.
- The most important collection of laws is the Constitution of Castaire, which was concluded in 1450 AC as the base of the freshly unified empire. It explains the way the Empire works.
- The rights of any inhabitant of Castaire are protected by the Grand Rule Book, the basic law written by Prince Hakno the Great, an important statesman of the Empire. The law supervision is the task of the Imperial Supreme Court (located in Lucrécy) and the smaller courts in every city, called the Peoples Court.
- Castaire consists of some smaller, former independent countries unified in 1200 AC by Empereur Castorian I. The most important and also the biggest part is of course Chastain itself, with its capital Lucrécy. Besides Chastain, several duchies were unified into the Empire in 1200 AC.
- The foreign politics of the Empire are related to the current Empereur. Empereur Nathanaël II for instance, had a very aggressive policy of expansion while Castorian I and Steve I are more peaceful statesmen. Today, Castaire isn't integrated into any war and has amicable relations to its neighbors.
Relations to Cantoras
- Cantoras, the former nemesis of Castaire, is now one of their most important partners as they export gold to Castaire, which is the base of the welfare of the Castairian Economy.
- The military of Castaire, commonly known as Forces Armées Impériales, is split into 4 parts, the Armée Impériale, the Marine Impériale, the Armée de l'air Impériale and the Imperial House Division.
- Main article: Armée Impériale
- The Armée Impériale is the biggest part of the Castairian Military, as it consists of 750.000 soldiers protecting the Empire from any enemies. The most known appearance of the army was the war against Cantoras 1738 - 1742, where they defeated the Cantorian army. They are clothed into red uniforms, so they are often called the "imperial redcoats".
- Main article: Marine Impériale
- The Marine Impériale is the naval wing of the Castairian Military, consisting of 100.000 soldiers, sailors and also supporting troops. This number includes also the Marine Soldiers. While the sailors are clothed in blue uniforms, their officers got a dark blue, and the Marine Soldiers are wearing red uniforms as their terrestrial counterparts.
Armée De L'Air Impériale
- Main article: Armée De L'Air Impériale
- The Armée de L'Air is a relatively new part of the Military, founded just 74 years ago. There are 50.000 men engaged in the airforce. With more than 90 airships and several smaller vessels it is the strongest airforce in the world. Some of their airships can float by the help of magic whilst others have newly invented steam engines to create the power needed to fly.
Imperial House Division
- Main article: Imperial Household Division
- The Imperial House Division is an elite unit consisting of 7 500 soldiers protecting the Emperor and his family. The members are the best trained men of the whole Empire and for sure able to prevent any attempted assassination on the Imperial Family. They wear the normal red uniforms of the Empire, but with golden epaulettes, golden sashes instead of the normal white ones and a golden border at their tricornes.
The Castairian Empire is a highly innovative and advanced country, as it makes use of steam power and electricity. Science and Research are important topics for the government, and both are encouraged by the monarchy as they provide useful gadgets for everydays life. Castaire has the largest and most powerful national economy of the world, caused by highly skilled labour force, a large capital stock and a non-existant level of corruption. The welfare and prosperity of the Empire is mainly based on their superior labour efficiency and high moral.
In manners of dependence, Castaire is completely autarc and produces everything by themselves.
Important labour branches are (gold-)smithery, the production of magical items and trade with other nations, as Castaire is the export nation #1.
- Most of the Castairian streets are cobbled and paved, and several rivers flow through the country, enabling ship traffic. Lucrécy is the most important hub for both traffic and trade, as it accommodates both the Imperial Airport and a big harbor, from where most of the trade of Castaire is processed.
- The processing of gold and usage of gems found in Liramond became one of the most lucrative sources of income for the Empire. The goldsmithery provides the most income (in form of taxes) for the state and is thus one of the reasons for the prosperity of Castaire.
- Some goldsmiths provide magical artifacts aswell, as they are supported by the magicians in the fabrication of them. Those magical artifacts are able to perform various tasks, for instance protecting the owner from illnesses or cleaning a room. More mighty artifacts are kept in the vaults of Palais Castaire as they could cause problems amongst the people. The most important artifact, the so called Glaciem Scepter, is the scepter worn by the Emperor of Castaire. Its actual amount of power is only known by the archmages and the Imperial Family.
- The most people of Castaire are followers of Cadriel, the Heavenly Lord. There exist some other religions, but they are minor related to the overwhelming member figure of the Cadrielistic Church, which is 95% of the overall population.
- The spoken language of Castaire is Castairian, as well as it is the official language of the Empire.
- The level of education in Castaire is the highest in the world. Everyone in the Empire at least is able to read, write and compute simple tasks. The normal way of education is the attending in a school, which lasts from the age of 6 to the age of 16, so the young inhabitants get 10 years of education. After the successful exams at the end, they are able to either visit the Magician Academy or the University. Both possibilities are an excellent choose, while the magically gifted pupils should visit the Magician Academy of course, which is merely focused on magic than on the normal subjects. The University graduation will allow the students to take absolutely any job, if they successfully finished their exams.
- The health system in Castaire is built upon a base structure of many hospitals, at least one in every city. In those hospitals, the doctors are using "normal" pharmacy products as well as magically infused talismans to heal the people. Because the health system is sponsored by the government, every inhabitant is able to afford a doctor in worse cases.
- Magic is very important in Castaire, since the most people rely on it. The magicians sell everyday items, usable for nearly any purpose. The magicians are organized in the Magicians Guild, whichs headquarter is the Magician Academy. The guild owns at least one building in every city, where people can ask for assistance by the magicians. They are rewarded with money by the satisfied people.
- In past times, the magicians were a great support for the Empereur as he ruled alone without a parliament, but since the parliaments establishment, the power of them decreased and they lost their influence on the politics of the Empire. Today, the magicians are represented with some seats in the parliament, where they are a minority, and the Empereurs advisor is one of the members of the high council of the magicians order.
The most buildings in Castaire were built in the style of historism and classicism. Some repeating colors are red and yellow, which are often used in representative buildings. Those representative buildings, e.g. Palais Castaire and the Townhall of Lucrécy were built in the style of Supreme Imperial, which is marked by an excessive usage of either quartz and marble or other very expensive materials like gold or lapis lazuli. Also those buildings are designed to have extraordinary high windows to light up the inner rooms.
Literature and Philosophy
As Castaire is known worldwide as a nation of intellectual people, its literature and philosophy is also very important for the welfare and knowledge of the Empire, as the authors and philosophers provide many books for the people to read.